Thursday, March 13, 2008

Meet the Old Boys...again...it's Animal!

This time it's the mighty Animal: rugby leaguer, Hong Kong copper and Sequins stalwart. Animal has done his "generation" proud by maintaining and even exceeding the (high) level of wit we have come to expect from these addled old duffers. Thanks again to Broony - Our Man in the Corner.


Name : Animal, however, as the wife does not like being called ‘Missus Animal’ I sometimes use an alias of Dave Slater.

Age : Having previously been mistaken for my father’s brother, my mother’s husband and my niece’s grandfather I can proudly state that I am only 48; but very happy that I am now starting to ‘age my look’.

Year retired : This year. But still available for tours as a War Correspondent.

Occupation : One of Asia’s Funniest (sorry, Finest), therefore semi retired.

Nationality : Yorkshireman

Rugby Position : Futility player, played them all equally badly. When given a choice, Centre or No 8.

Years at Club : 8

Previous Rugby Clubs : Todmorden (small tribal compound in the Pennines) Amateur Rugby League Club, Rochdale Hornets Colts, Royal Hong Kong Police and Hong Kong Police.

Favourite thing about HK Rugby : Tours and beers with mates, which results in scaring the bejasus out of Fordo by sleeping naked and snoring like an enraged Grizzly. Sorry, my mistake, apparently the overall hair colour is more akin to a Polar bear.

Current favourite Club player and why : All the ladies playing for Ice, they scare me !

Most embarrassing spectating rugby experience : Sitting in the changing room (cowshed) at Todmorden whilst my fellow Under 16’s recorded their only loss of the season. I was a tad under the weather having drunk a bottle of scotch the night before. On a positive note, I no longer drink scotch by the bottle !

Wanchai or Manila ? That’s an easy choice…….Bangkok.

Sequins Corner or the Sportsmans ? The Corner waiting for Woots to get slapped one day; and anyway, the Sportsmans does takeaways and delivers.

HKFC 10s or HKRFU 7s ? I didn’t realise they were separate events and have never been able to differentiate between the finish of one and start of the other.

Drinks with Woots or shopping with the wife ? The former, it’s less likely to end in divorce.
Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren ? Sorry, they are a bit before my time. I’d love to have a ‘Monster’s Ball' with Halle Berry though.

1 comment:

Chris said...

No posts for 2 weeks Harps? Nothing about Drags AND Club winning the KO Cup? What kind of reportage is this??